Saturday, March 22, 2008

Goodbye, Grandma


Grandma's Casket

This has been such an emotional weekend. We gathered on Friday, as a family, to tell my sweet little grandma goodbye for awhile. It was such a bittersweet time. We were reminded over and over of the amazing reunion she and grandpa must be having, but we still are going to miss her sweet smile terribly. She loved music so much. It was a huge part of her life! For her funeral, we had a musical tribute for her. My Uncle John said the family prayer before her casket was closed. That brought such an amazing spirit into the room. It was such a hard, sad thing to say goodbye to her for this life. I love her so much. I know she still "is" but I miss her so much. It was so hard to give her one last kiss goodbye. She looked so peaceful and had her conducting baton and a hymnbook in her hands. My little Jordan was so worried that the cushion on the top of the casket would squish her face once it was closed. It broke my heart to see the tears streaming down his face. I am so grateful for the knowledge of the gospel I have so I can answer his questions. I am grateful for my Savior that provided a way for families to be together forever.

We followed the casket into the chapel and it was such a blessing to see so many of Grandma's friends in the audience. She was such an amazing woman and loved by all who knew her. She truly is an elect lady. That was mentioned over and over during the service. It opened with an invocation by my dad, then Jenny and I play a flute duet, "Love is Spoken Here." (My flute is actually being repaired, so my friend Alisha let me borrow hers. Thank you SOOO much!) Next, my Aunt Marva gave a life history. She talked about some of the things she remembered growing up; how Grandma never raised her voice in anger, if someone forgot something at home that they needed for school, Grandma would always cheerfully bring it to them and never scold them for being forgetful. She shared how one of her children always thought she was Grandma's favorite and it wasn't until she was an adult that she realized that Grandma made all of her grandkids feel that way. I know I always did! After her words, the entire family stood up, turned around to the audience, and sang "Families Can Be Together Forever." The words of that song are such a great testimony to me of the truthfulness the gospel contains.

Next, some of Grandma's friends, many of whom had been in her "Singing Mothers" group that she directed, sang a song called "Before the Sunset." Then Beverly Shepherd spoke. She is one of Grandma's friends from Lake Shore and was also currently serving as her Relief Society President. She talked about many of the things she learned and also some of the memories she had of Grandma. She had also called many of us to get some of our favorite memories about Grandma. The one I shared with her was when I was pregnant with Mikayla and Doug and I were living with Grandma Argyle. She didn't want me to get in the habit of taking naps during the day because I wouldn't be able to do that with any of my other pregnancies. Grandma and Grandpa Anderson lived just down the street and they would invite me to take a nap with them. Since they took morning naps, mid-morning naps, early afternoon, and late afternoon naps, I could go nap with them at any time during the day. I LOVED that time with them. However, I often wonder what Grandma Argyle things of my napping habits now! :-)

Lori and Aaron played a bass/bassoon duet next. Then Uncle Ken spoke. It was interesting to hear his thoughts about Grandma. He spoke about how loving and nurturing she was and how difficult it was for her to watch him fall and struggle to get up after his bout with polio. It is such a maternal instinct to pick your babies up off the ground when they fall, but she knew it would only make it harder for him later. She let him struggle to pick himself up and it taught him that he shouldn't feel sorry for himself, but should learn to not just live with his disability but learn to treat it more as an inconvenience.

Next, Jon, Aaron, Joey, Jenny, Liz, Lori, Tanya, and I sang "Because I Have Been Given Much." Grandma's Bishop and Stake President gave some thoughts and then Jenny and Jon sang "God Be With You 'Til We Meet Again." They have such amazing, beautiful voices. I LOVE to hear them sing together. Uncle Jeff gave the benediction.




Pall bearers carrying Grandma's casket.













Grandpa and Grandma Anderson's headstone










At the cemetery, Uncle Dave dedicated Grandma's "final resting place." After that, we took family pictures. Of my 28 living cousins, all of us were there. What a miracle! We haven't been together in many, many years. I don't even remember the last time. We took some "cousin photos" but since I forgot my camera--like I ALWAYS do--I don't have any right now. Hopefully, I will get some soon! Many of Grandma and Grandpa's 60 great-grandchildren were also there.

Also, all of my brothers and sisters and their children were here. We took family pictures last night. Carma Gray, from Eagle Mountain, took them for us. That was yet another adventure. Poor little Ella threw up on the way there, all over her dress. Carma called her sister-in-law to borrow a dress. Unfortunately, Ellie got sick again, all over that dress. We finished our pictures and then Jen and Jon brought Ella home. Carma was so gracious and kind. I am SO grateful that we were able to capture this moment in time. Thank you to everyone who made this day possible. What an amazing legacy my sweet Grandma has left us. I love you, Grandma. I miss you so much. I will try harder to remember the example you set for me and strive to live my life so I never disappoint you. Give Grandpa a hug for me. I can't wait to see you again...

No comments: