Okay, so that is a line from one of my favorite movies, Pollyanna. I took my kids to a movie during Christmas break. We had heard great things about Marley and Me, so off we went. It started out great. The little puppy, Marley, was so mischevious and funny! Well. . . the movie is about the way he fits into a family and their relationship with him. I knew something was coming--it couldn't ALL be happy. (Sorry to spoil this for you, but. . .) he ends up getting sick in his old age and has to be put to sleep. Not the best choice for a family who only 5 days before had to have a family pet put to sleep. My kids were SOBBING by the time we left the theater. So much for a light-hearted afternoon out. Things are getting better, though. We stopped by our house today for a few minutes (we are spending the break at my parents' home in Santaquin, which is about an hour from Eagle Mountain). The kids friends had given them each a little cat statue for Christmas with "In loving memory of Callie, 2008," written on the bottom. It truly was a sweet and thoughtful gesture. Anyway, the night they were delivered was followed up with a whole new round of tears. Well, today, they looked at them and no one even sniffled. We are definitely making progress!
My advice to anyone who wants it: If you have recently had to say goodbye to a pet, do NOT take your children to see Marley and Me. It was a very cute movie, but struck a little close to home! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I feel partly responsible. Mom told me what movie you would be going to that day and I didn't even think about your recent misadventure with Callie. I haven't seen the movie but I have read the book. I should've stopped you. Sorry!
Has everyone recovered?
Jen, We are recovering. We received a sympathy card from the vet today. I haven't shown it to the kids yet because I would like us all to be able to sleep through the night WITHOUT tears! We should have gone to see Bedtime Stories. Oh well, live and learn! :)
The way you wrote this made me chuckle from the situation but I'm sooo sorry you had such a sad experience with your kids losing their pet. I love animals and have always been attached to my pets since I was little so my heart goes out to you all.
Also- are you still the chorister for ward choir? I'm sure you heard Sunday that I'm the new pianist, heaven help us.
I was wondering if you could give me info far as time of practice and if you could give me any songs way before hand so I can practice that would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Post a Comment