
Grandma with Mikayla, Jordan, Hunter, and Alexia

Grandma and me
I know I have already posted these pictures, but they mean a lot more to me today. My sweet little grandma passed away yesterday, March 13, 2008. She had a stroke Wednesday and moved to my parents home that afternoon. At that point it looked like she had about three more days. Yesterday morning (Thursday), my mom called me and told me that they had removed her oxygen and it looked like it would be less than 12 hours. I was heartbroken--not because I didn't want her to leave, I know she has been miserable and has missed my grandpa so much--but because my stupid leg prevents me from driving and/or sitting for very long. My parents home is an hour away from mine. Well, my best friend saved the day for me. She was on her way into town to go grocery shopping, but when she got the news, she turned around and headed home. I was able to lie down in the back seat of her van with my leg propped up for awhile. When that got uncomfortable, I moved to the front seat, put my leg on the dashboard, and reclined the seat back. I only had to stop 1 time each way to walk around. Thank you, Kelly! That thoughtful act means more to me than I could ever tell you.
Doug picked up the kids after school and took them down in the Saturn, which only seats 5, so I would not have been able to go along with them anyway. We all got a chance to tell her goodbye. She passed away about an hour after I left and just as my family was walking out the door.
Some life lessons I learned from Grandma Anderson:
It's okay to take a nap during the day.
Somedays you need more than one nap to get through.
If you get a nail in your foot, candy lipstick will ALWAYS make it feel better.
If 1 cookie is good, 2 cookies are better.
Life doesn't always turn out the way you planned it.
When life gets hard, keep plugging along.
Cheap plastic sunglasses really can keep the sun out of your eyes AND they make you look beautiful!
Don't play with the gas tanks on the farm.
Boys are built "different" than girls.
If you drop your favorite barrette in the toilet, Grandma will "rescue" it.
It is possible to make homemade yogurt.
Grandmas love whatever you make them--even 6-month old Santa cookies.
Save EVERYTHING, you never know when you might need it.;-)
(I admit need to change my thinking on that one!)
NEVER ask someone if they are pregnant!
When conducting music, put your whole soul into it.
Be kind to everyone.
Families truly can be together forever.
Sing.
Smile.
Laugh out loud.
Life is short, be happy.
Shag carpet can and should be replaced.
Love.
Treasure each moment.
Be grateful I married Doug and not that "other guy".
Don't clap at Church meetings--actually, I learned that one from Grandpa, but still, Grandma was there!;-)
Serve the Lord.
Do your best in EVERY calling.
You can survive with only 1/2 a piece of gum.
If Mom says no, ask Grandma.
But most important for me: I am someone special and my grandma loves me JUST THE WAY I AM!
It's okay to take a nap during the day.
Somedays you need more than one nap to get through.
If you get a nail in your foot, candy lipstick will ALWAYS make it feel better.
If 1 cookie is good, 2 cookies are better.
Life doesn't always turn out the way you planned it.
When life gets hard, keep plugging along.
Cheap plastic sunglasses really can keep the sun out of your eyes AND they make you look beautiful!
Don't play with the gas tanks on the farm.
Boys are built "different" than girls.
If you drop your favorite barrette in the toilet, Grandma will "rescue" it.
It is possible to make homemade yogurt.
Grandmas love whatever you make them--even 6-month old Santa cookies.
Save EVERYTHING, you never know when you might need it.;-)
(I admit need to change my thinking on that one!)
NEVER ask someone if they are pregnant!
When conducting music, put your whole soul into it.
Be kind to everyone.
Families truly can be together forever.
Sing.
Smile.
Laugh out loud.
Life is short, be happy.
Shag carpet can and should be replaced.
Love.
Treasure each moment.
Be grateful I married Doug and not that "other guy".
Don't clap at Church meetings--actually, I learned that one from Grandpa, but still, Grandma was there!;-)
Serve the Lord.
Do your best in EVERY calling.
You can survive with only 1/2 a piece of gum.
If Mom says no, ask Grandma.
But most important for me: I am someone special and my grandma loves me JUST THE WAY I AM!
I love you, Grandma! I know you are happy and with Grandpa again. I am so grateful for these and the many other life lessons you taught me. I am grateful for the rich legacy you have left me and my family. Until we meet again. . .

1 comment:
What a beautiful person Grandma was. i feel so lucky that I got to have her in my life for the last 10 years. She was a sweet, sweet lady and we are really going to miss her! I love all the things you learned from her.
Post a Comment