Thursday, February 25, 2010

$500/Month Prescription????

Okay, so a year-and-a-half ago I had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in my lung) caused by a prescription I was taking. I had to do 6 months worth of Coumadin (NASTY stuff) and have been doing well ever since. Well, today I went into my first OB appointment and he told me that as a precaution, he wanted to put me back on Lovonox which is also a blood thinner, but is an injection that I have to inject daily into my stomach. I wasn't thrilled about it, but what can you do? He said that since I had already had a PE the chances of getting another one increase during pregnancy.

Well, I took the prescription into the pharmacy to fill today. As they were ringing up my meds, I was looking at the paperwork. My heart medication came to $5.55. Not bad. The Lovonox however??!? $495.81 for a 1 MONTH supply. (Yes, I am supposed to refill this for the next 6 months=nearly $3,000!) I asked the clerk if that could possibly be right. Yes!! Apparently the "cash" price would have been $1400. Needless to say I did NOT bring the injections home with me today. I will be calling my doctor tomorrow for something different.

I was just wondering if anyone had an extra $500/month lying around that they didn't need. No?!? Yeah, well, me either!!

2 comments:

The Millers said...

Oh my goodness! So this was the after insurance cost? I would be looking for something different too. Sometimes if you qualify I know there are programs that will help cover the cost of horrifically expensive meds. Maybe your doctor will know of some? Otherwise I would roll the dice. I mean who really needs both lungs right?

Elora M said...

I hate the costs of prescriptions. As bad as it is to say, but I have seen worse. I mean I shouldn't complain because when people buy Rx drugs they will help pay my bills, but even I think that is too ridiculous. Sorry, that the world hates healthy people.